Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Inbox Inspiration: July 10, 2019: Saint Augustine

Saint Augustine

Dear Friends, 
Augustine was born in the year 354 in Northern Africa, in what is today Tunisia.
As a young man, Augustine was not baptized and not a Christian.
He lived a pleasure-seeking and self-focused lifestyle – to the absolute distress of his mother, Monica.
Nevertheless, he was well educated, left Africa for Rome and eventually became a professor of rhetoric in Milan.
It was there that he met the saintly and very gifted bishop Ambrose.
Through him, Augustine became captivated by the depth of Christian doctrine.
This led to his conversion and baptism at age 33.
Augustine’s earlier aversion for Christianity now became matched by ardent faith. Returning to Africa, he was ordained a priest at age 36 and then, at age 41, was made bishop of the diocese of Hippo.
Augustine’s theological writings touch upon practically all major parts of Christian doctrine.
He shares his own life story and conversion in his autobiography Confessionswhich has become a classic in Christian spirituality.
Augustine has had a major impact especially on western Christianity and our understanding of God, grace and sin.
For this, he has been honored with the title of Doctor of the Church.
He died in 430, still as the bishop of Hippo.
We can turn to this saint for inspiration and hope when we find ourselves looking back and wishing we had lived certain parts of our life differently.
Augustine’s feast day is August 28 in our Catholic calendar.

“Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you! You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you…You were with me, but I was not with you…You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness…You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness…I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more.”    
From the Confessions of Saint Augustine.
 “All you holy men and women, Saints of God, pray for us.” 
Father Michael Schleupner

No comments:

Post a Comment