Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Inbox Inspiration: December 2, 2020: A Will to Communion

 

INBOX INSPIRATIONS

December 2, 2020

 

 “A Will to Communion -1”    

 

Dear Friends,

Recently I read a book on spirituality for priests.

The author is an experienced priest who has served as a spiritual director and a theology professor in a seminary.

He calls us priests to become aware of our own “brokenness” – our limitations in ministerial skill, imperfections in our personality, faults or sinfulness in our behavior.

With this awareness of our own “brokenness,” we are to turn to Christ – especially Christ on the cross in his physical, relational, and even spiritual brokenness. 

Then, when a priest… “enters into communion with Christ in his own brokenness, what grows within him is what I call a ‘will to communion,’ that is, a deep desire to be a person who more often than not seeks unity rather than division, creates a comfortable setting for others rather than a tense or hostile environment, and bears others flaws and failings with compassion and equanimity rather than judgment and hostility.”

“A will to communion” – this is a challenge which I feel called to embrace in my personal and ministerial life. 

I need to slow down my inner self enough and shut out noise enough to admit my own brokenness – my limitations, my imperfections, and my sinfulness.  

I need to bring my brokenness to God in prayer.

And then, with Christ, the “will to communion” may grow in me – a desire to admit my oneness with others and to be one with others, in our mutual brokenness.

The author of the book I am quoting sees this as the spiritual calling of priests today.

Our acceptance of this and our living this “will to communion” will be a gift both to our Church and our American society.

Both very much need this “will to communion” right now.

More on this in the next two Inbox Inspirations, December 9 and 16!

 

Father Michael Schleupner

 

(Quotation above from: From Hero to Servant to Mystic by Father Scott P. Detisch, 2019)


*********

December 9, 2020
A Will to Communion - 2
 
Dear Friends,
In last week’s Inbox (December 2)I reflected on the importance of “a will to communion” in priestly spirituality.
One aspect of this is that we must work at accenting the positive and not the negative.
“will to communion” leads me, as I said last week, to admit my oneness with others and to be one with others in our human brokenness.
With that awareness, it is then more important to lift up the way of Jesus positively as leading us to a full and satisfying life, instead of always focusing on sin.
By the way, there is already plenty of emphasis on sin in the Mass – the word is used about thirteen times in the regular prayers of every Mass that we celebrate.
So, “a will to communion” leads me to see myself as one with others on a journey of growth in the way of Jesus Christ.
It leads me to see myself as walking with, and not standing above or beyond others.
Similarly, “a will to communion” leads me to cite the good traits, the accomplishments, and the gifts to humanity from our culture and society.   
It leads me to build upon these features and positively call our society forward to something greater, a fuller expression of God’s will for all.
This is a respectful approach, rather than one of shouting harsh condemnations and judgments for the deficiencies that are there.
With “a will to communion,” a priest “bears others’ flaws and failings with compassion and equanimity rather than judgment and hostility.” 
And, I must add that all of the above applies not just to priests.
It also applies to bishops, deacons, and laypersons in our Church. 
This is to be the way and the tone for the living out of faith for all of us.
More on this in next week’s Inbox Inspirations – December 16.
 
Father Michael Schleupner
 
(Quotation above from: From Hero to Servant to Mystic by Father Scott P. Detisch, 2019)

*******
December 16, 2020
A Will to Communion - 3
 
Dear Friends,
In the last two Inbox Inspirations (December 2 and 9), I reflected on the importance of “a will to communion” in priestly spirituality.
Foundational to this is that I admit my oneness with others and seek to be one with others in our human brokenness.
This spiritual approach has a number of results for what we do.
For example, with a “will to communion,” we do not demonize others and portray them as evil or all bad.
Instead, we respect them as persons and constructively try to engage with them. 
With a “will to communion,” we refrain from stereotyping any racial, ethnic, nationality, or religious group.
Instead, we see all others as human beings like ourselves, with similar needs and hopes.
With a “will to communion,” we do not stand up for something by putting down someone.
Instead, we respectfully express what we think or believe, and then we give others the space and freedom to respond.
With a “will to communion,” we do not fear others because they are different. 
Instead, we welcome diversity and see this as a way for all of us to grow and expand our horizons. 
With a “will to communion,” we are not eager to exclude people from our Church or from Holy Communion.
Instead, we desire to include all who sincerely seek God and Christ.
And with a “will to communion,” we are not afraid of migrants, refugees, and immigrants.
Instead, we participate in forging a sensible immigration policy that does our country’s best in being a refuge for others.
So, yes, I believe that a “will to communion” is an essential ingredient in the spirituality of priests.
In truth, it is also essential for all persons of faith. 
 
Father Michael Schleupner
 
(Quotation above from: From Hero to Servant to Mystic by Father Scott P. Detisch, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment